our commitment to the community
For every tonne of resource we use, it takes 10 tonnes of resource to produce it! Read on to find out what we're doing at Evans to reduce our energy consumption:
- In 2005 we challenged all our store teams to think about all the excess energy they were using in the form of lighting, air conditioning and other devices.
- To help store teams save energy, we introduced a Store Self Assessment, which is carried out every 3 months. Posters & stickers are used in staff areas to highlight to the teams that lights should be switched off when not in use and air conditioning should be set at the right temperatures.
- This year sees the introduction of Smart Meters into all Arcadia stores. These meters contain a chip that sends data back on a half hourly basis. The information shows us where stores can reduce energy consumption.
- We are trialing low energy light bulbs in some stores, with the view of rolling out across the brand.
- 90% of the energy for washing clothes is used to heat the water. Going forward, we are planning to introduce 30-degree wash garments, so that we can enable our customers to save energy at home.
- Our head office teams are also supporting saving energy through increased awareness of lights, computer screens and much more...